Red Wing Locality on Minnesota Map
Institute for Minnesota Archaeology logo From Site to Story logo

Red Wing Locality
 


Contents

Stories

Sources

Search

Credits

Links

Home

The Original Hamline University Site  
Image Archive:    (big thumbnails)     (medium)     (small)  
 Back to the Story    


                                                                   


Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Aerial view of Red Wing.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Exposed foundation walls.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Volunteers excavating at the Hamline site.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Field school students learning how to set up an excavation unit.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Excavation at the Hamline site.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

The excavations were accompanied by tours, lectures, open houses, classroom visits, hands-on opportunities, field schools, and teacher workshops.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Ceramic plate found in situ.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

This whiteware plate was made in England and was probably imported through a Milwaukee firm.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Foundation corner uncovered during 1996 excavations.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Red brick from the school building is visible in the profile of this test unit, view to the west.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Careful note taking and mapping are essential during excavation.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Ceramic bowl sherds.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Today's President of Hamline University turning over the first trowel full of soil at the groundbreaking ceremony.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Glass decanter stopper.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Ceramic pipe bowl and stem recovered during excavation.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Ceramic plate sherds.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Exposed building foundation.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Excavation at the Hamline site.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Schoolchildren excavating alongside field school students during IMA's -day Public Program.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Schoolchildren screening excavated material.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

1996 Teachers Workshop participants.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Excavation at the Hamline site.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Shown here are remnants of education-related items found at the Hamline site: stoneware inkwell (left) and slate pencil (right).






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Structural debris recovered during excavations included a metal hinge (left) and window glass (right).






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Articles relating to women's clothing included a plastic gem (left) and a piece of a tortoise shell comb (right).






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Soil resistivity survey map of the Hamline site.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

A group of Hamline students circa 1868.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Early map of Red Wing. The Hamline University building can be seen in the center of the map, between the fourth and fifth streets from the river and in the middle of the "V-wedge."






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

A group of Hamline students.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Louise E. Sherman, Hamline's first Dean of Women (1857-1858) and Professor of Modern Languages (1854-1858).






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Rev. Jabez Brooks, D.D., Hamline's first Principle (1854-1857) and a President of Hamline University, 1861-1869.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

An illustration of Dakota Chief Red Wing's village and Barn Bluff, by Henry Lewis, ca 1840.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Helen Sutherland (2nd from left in back row) graduated in the class of 1863. She was known as perhaps the best educated woman in the state in Mathematics and Latin.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Hamline's first building erected in 1855. It contained a chapel, recitation room, schoolroom, library and laboratory, reading rooms, and dormitory quarters.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Red Wing's Central Park as it looks today.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

1863 exam schedule.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

The Charles Brown house was used as the Hamline University dormitory in the 1860s.






Click to enlarge image:
medium (575 pixels)
large (1000 pixels)

Hamline University tuition sheet. Notice the cost for a college student - $10.00.



 
 


 

Sources Stories Credits Search Contents Links
Northern Headwaters Twin Cities Metro Area Red Wing Locality

From Site to Story web address
© 1999 The Institute for Minnesota Archaeology
Email us: feedback@fromsitetostory.org
Updated 27 Jun 1999